The Breadcrumbs widget will appear here on the published site.
Anyone else a huge fan of “staycations”?!? With my hubby’s crazy work schedule, it can be tough to go off on a spontaneous vacation as a whole family. Thankfully, living in WNY, we are so close to so many fabulous travel destinations. My favorite? Niagara Falls! A few weeks ago we decided to head up to the falls and take my daughter on the Maid of the Mist. She had never been and we felt like she was finally old enough where she would remember her first experience.
When I spammed my Insta with Niagara Falls pics, I was shocked when I was flooded with questions. I swear everyone wanted details on the Maid of the Mist!! So today I’m doing exactly that! Giving you all the tips you can possibly need to make your trip on the Maid of the Mist as epic as possible!
1. Wear Sunglasses ~ yes, you are provided with a free poncho, but if you’re a girly girl like me and caked your makeup on for those insta-worthy pics, pack a pair of shades and toss them on when the boat takes off. I didn’t even need to touch my makeup up afterwards thanks to my handy dandy poncho and my shades!
2. Bring Your Camera ~ This was the one question I was asked over and over. Is it safe to bring your fancy camera? The answer is yes! While you do get wet, you do not get soaked. Mist is the key word here! Just tuck that camera under your poncho when you’re not using it and it will be fine!
3. Go On A Weekday ~ We headed up to the falls on a bright, sunny 85 degree summer day. It was a Monday and there were zero lines!!! I was pretty excited about this because in the past, I had waited quite a while to board. Apparently Monday’s are the day to head to the falls!
4. Wait To Put Poncho On ~ when you first board the boat, you will see everyone put their ponchos on in a hurry. I was one of those people. It gets really hot with that poncho on! I would wait until the boat is about to take off and then put it on. You will literally be standing around for about 5-10 minutes while people board feeling like you’re in a sauna on a hot summer day with that thing on!! Just wait!!!!
5. Top and Bottom Decks ~ There is a huge difference! If you’re like me and just wanting to get misted with water to cool off from all that walking you have been doing, head to the bottom deck. I didn’t really get that wet at all and like I mentioned above, didn’t have to fix my makeup! If you’re wanting to get wet, the top deck is for you. Depending on where you stand on the top deck, you can apparently get as soaked as you want. You won’t be finding me there that’s for sure lol.
6. Observation Deck ~ If you want the best insta pics you can possibly get on the American side of the falls, head to the observation deck! You will have the best views of the falls. I would suggest even doing this before you do the excursion if you want family pics in front of the falls. That way you don’t have to worry about anyone being wet afterwards. Everyone will be dry and photo ready!
Have you been on the Maid of the Mist?
The Recommended Posts widget will appear here on the published site.
The Blog Search will appear here on the published site.
results for you
We've got nothin'!