The Breadcrumbs widget will appear here on the published site.
The goal of any website owner is to get as many pageviews as possible! What's the point of writing & shooting killer content if not a soul sees just how fabulous it is?!
Last night I took part in a fun poll in one of my favorite blogging groups MBLS about blog traffic. I was hesitant to take part at first because I assumed my numbers were going to be somewhere in the middle since some of these girls are regular guest posters for sites like Babble & Scary Mommy. Yeah, paid to write meaning they produce some killer content. The last thing I wanted was to be considered average. AGAIN! I might go off on a good ole' viral-worthy rant people relate to on HuffPost, but I definitely lack the actual writing and straight up English skills to land the types of gigs I see these girls land!
After a few minutes of creeping the poll, I eventually saw that I was one of 3 girls that took part in the poll that had traffic over 100,000! I was definitely in shock. I was finally not average for something! Talking numbers is considered so taboo that I really had no idea where I actually stood & let my own mind convince myself I wasn't killing it. While I was definitely having a proud moment, taking part in the poll also had me feeling like a dummy once the cono turned into marketing & I saw straight up where I was sucking & needed major improvement (hello Tailwind).
Here is a screenshot, timed and not cropped etc so you know this is the real deal :) Since this poll had me realize that as usual, I do things a tad bit differently than the average blogger, I thought I would share some of the Unique ways I keep my traffic over that 100k mark.
1. Meetup.com ~ Some might call me a little biased with this tip since I am the founder of one of largest all female groups in the country on the site and was the assistant organizer of one of the largest in Central Florida when I was still living in the Sunshine state, but meetup.com can help you hit that pageview jackpot with networking groups you can join! Simply search for networking groups on the site. If you live near a major city you will have so many groups to choose from it might be a tad bit overwhelming. ATTEND such groups events with a stack of business cards & mingle. People are more likely to click on your site when they know who you are, even if they only met you over a glass of wine. They met you and I promise you will get a pageview due to that exchange of hellos! They will be curios to know who you are online! Who knows, maybe you found your next biggest fan? If they really aren't into your site, at least you got a new page like or twitter follow since I'm sure they gave you a business card to their Etsy shop or real estate page to investigate as well.
2. Networking Events ~ If you're like me & currently live in the middle of nowhere with not a single meetup group worth attending since the Amish don't have the internet, check out events online and on facebook. If my small town has such events as a Young Professionals monthly mixer, I'm sure you can find one in your neck of the woods too! Just like I mentioned above, people will give you that view & even share your content if they know who you are! People love to say "Hey, I know her" when you do totally awesome things like score big time campaign! Totally worth checking out.
3. Facebook ~ This is obviously a no brainer! But besides dropping your latest blog post link on your business page, join facebook groups. And no! I'm not talking blogging chore thread groups, groups that fit within your niche. For example, I am a wannabe chef. Therefore I joined as many food and recipe groups as I could possibly find on facebook and I share my recipes FROM MY FACEBOOK PAGE (when permitted) into these groups. Besides getting amazing reach this way, you will be pretty shocked at how many people (not bloggers, REAL people looking for whatever it is you shared) click on your link & even leave you comments! Hello new readers!!!! I will warn you however, if you do this, you will find dozens of chatty "fans" who message you about how you created things and the why behind it all the time since you are a member of the same group lol. Just go with it since they do share your content with their friends ;-)
4. Your Personal Facebook Page ~ I have a confession to make! Twitter people > Facebook people. It's not that I hate the people I know in real life, I actually love all the cute baby spam & happy post!!! It's just that they don't get my sarcasm & that they shouldn't take me too seriously. On twitter I can post as unfiltered as I want and know one bats an eye. Facebook, I have to try & censor myself to avoid people thinking I need a straight jacket. If you're on my personal page you are probably laughing right now because for someone who claims to hate facebook I do post at least once a day on my personal page! The gods honest truth behind my posting as much as possible is because I made my personal page into a VIP type of page. Family members, friends, blogging buddies, networking event folks, PR & business peeps, they are all there!!! Me posting keeps me in people's feeds. And you know what? My blog gets consistent views from these 900+ folks since I don't have to pay for reach! Plus, I know when one of my blogger buddies shares a post onto their personal page, I'm more likely to click on it since it must be a brag moment! My curiosity gets me wondering what awesomeness it could be so I assume others must do the same.
5. Facebook Ads ~ I know, you hate me for saying the worst suggestion of all! I'm suppose to think Facebook ads are the devil and boycott them. But with some trial and error & having a few of my favorite blogging networks pay ridiculous amounts to promote post of mine via Facebook ads, I will give my overall suggestion. If you have a post already killing it, PAY THE FREAKN $6-$10! I have had posts go viral off of only $6 BUT they were already performing well on their own. They just needed that extra push to get shares. Have a viral post? Make it go super viral and pay the high dollar amount Facebook suggest. One of my networks did this on a viral post and my blog traffic went up to over 200k back in August! Crazyness!!!! Now if you have a post doing horrible, I hate to say it, but that $6 will not save you clicks wise so don't do it unless you plan on shelling out a decent amount of cash to promote your failing post. Even then I would say it's too risky & just move on to new content.
6. Instagram Stories ~ Just do it!!! It's INSANE how many people watch your stories & click over to your profile and even click your blog link! Too scared to shoot video? Start out posting photos and work your way into the videos. You will be hooked after you compare your insta stats to before you used stories & after. The best part of all? Instagram shows you who is watching you. To all my fellow marketing nerds this is a huge game changer. Click on the non blogger names that show up over & over & see what they post themselves. Use this info to figure out who your true loyal followers are & what they must like about your site. You can now cater your content to your loyal readers and followers meaning more pageviews!
7. Humanize Yourself ~ It doesn't matter what social platform you use, people like to follow people they identify with. Google Kim K & marketing and you will read all about how she used this type of marketing to make her millions! Know one wants to follow a cookie cutter robot! They want exciting! We have Better Homes & Gardens, Womans Day & Pinterest covering our editorial needs! Now I'm not saying spill your life story on the World Wide Web, save that for your nearest and dearest, but share cute everyday moments and thoughts. Drinking something yummy tonight? Share a picture of it! I bet a handful of people love that cocktail & would love to tell you. Score a killer deal on your latest shopping trip? Spill the secret since we all love saving that cash! If your tip was great, people will be back for more! Did your kid do something ridiculously horrible yet funny when you take a step back and think about the situation? All the other moms on the internet would love to hear this since this has happened to them too & it makes them feel normal. Reach a life milestone? Let people know. People LOVE to say congratulations via the like button. I think you get the point.... Humanizing yourself will get you those pageviews since people now identify with you. You are their online bestie!
8. Guest Posting on Mega Sites ~ I was a hater of guest posting for the longest time! Convinced it was a scam to get said mega site pageviews and them alone, leaving me high and dry. Then it happened. I had an article up on HuffPost earn that awesome yellow "promoted" flag on my HuffPost contributor profile & that article was then edited by an editor, moved to the front page of HuffPost Parents & then HuffPost social shared. I went viral. Unfortunately, that post didn't lead to the million pageviews I was hoping for, BUT I had my Facebook page linked at the bottom of my article & that article earned me a ridiculous amount of new Facebook followers, leading to new pageviews on future post on my own site. So I will say I am now a fan of sharing content on mega sites IF IT IS AWESOME enough to get promoted by the site to eventually earn pageviews.
9. Pinterest ~ Pinterest has been my true game-changer this year for me & the social network I'm going to be focusing on the remainder of the year. No, I'm not talking just pinning, but pinning each of my posts to multiple boards, sharing content into GROUP BOARDS and designing bigger/bolder images. What are group boards?! A group board works like a regular Pinterest board. The only difference is that along with the board creator, other people are also allowed to pin. Meaning a ton of people see your pin! I'm convinced you can get killer traffic with group boards alone if you're members of the right ones!!!! I have also been gradually updating my blog images since about May-ish of this past year to make them taller and easier to read and my traffic really has jumped! I was an idiot when I first started blogging and would pin Instagram squares! I'm an owner to a viral square pin so I never realized that I had won the Pinterest lotto with that one and that NEVER happens since people hate squares! Once I switched to long vertical photos with bold writing, bam! Repin mania! I honestly believe that in the next few months Pinterest will replace twitter as my number one traffic source. It's just going to take me some time to fix my content & figure out Tailwind! What's Tailwind?!? Something I totally suck at so google it ;-)
10.QUALITY CONTENT ~ Before you publish a blog or social post ask yourself: Would I share/pin/RT/like this if I didn’t write it? If the answer is no, move on. Restructure the post. Come up with better captions if your photography isn't the greatest. Think about what emotion your post instills in the reader. Are you teaching them something new? Making them laugh? Connecting with them? Some of my most shared post have been the simplest to create and write! Just take a look at my twitter account and some of my most random thoughts have been RT'd a zillion times because I simply made someone laugh! That simple RT'd giggle reached new potential readers and followers equaling pageviews! Each social network has it's own personality and feel, so figure out where your content fits in & roll with it!
The Recommended Posts widget will appear here on the published site.
The Blog Search will appear here on the published site.
results for you
We've got nothin'!